EMP offers a variety of valuable events that support the efforts of local educators, including biannual Teacher Professional Development Days and music and literary student competitions such as Write Out of This World.
Seattle Science Festival + EMP
EMP is proud to participate in the Seattle Science Festival, the largest celebration of science in the Pacific Northwest.
The Festival, from June 6–16, brings engaging hands-on exhibits, shows, demonstrations, and performances to venues throughout the region—all designed to educate and inspire people of all ages about science, technology, engineering, and math.
Join EMP at the following Science Festival events:
- Architectural Grooves: A Guided Tour of EMP Museum
June 3, 5, and 7, 2:00-3:00pm, EMP Museum
- EMP Booth at Seattle Science Festival Expo Day
Saturday, June 8, 10:00am-6:00pm, Seattle Center
- Short Films, Big Ideas: The Science of Science Fiction
Sunday, June 16, 5:00pm, SIFF Cinema Uptown
Write Out of This World
Students express their creativity through EMP’s third annual sci-fi and fantasy short story contest. Submissions are judged by a panel of experts including EMP curators, professional writers, and Seattle community leaders.
Submissions are judged by a panel of experts including EMP curators, professional writers, and Seattle community leaders.
Teacher Professional Development Day: Skills for 21st Century Educators
Teacher Professional Development Day: Skills for 21st Century Educators helps teachers to expand their creativity, communication, collaboration, and technology skills by engaging multiple learning styles and drawing on foundational content in EMP exhibits such as The Art of Video Games, Icons of Science Fiction, and Fantasy: Worlds of Myth and Magic.
Workshop selections for the most recent Teacher Professional Development Day on February 23 included:
- The Art and Science of Video Games: Game Development as a Teaching Tool
- Theater Skills: Bringing Fantasy and Science Fiction Texts Alive!
- Podcasting for the Classroom: Music, History, and Technology Unite!
- Bringing Science and Math Alive through Brain Dance and Creative Movement
- EMP also offers K–12 whole staff training.