An annual fundraiser to benefit EMP's youth programs, EMP's Founders Award features legendary performers who have made substantial contributions to the field of music.
Founders Award 2016 Honoree
The annual Founders Award celebration is EMP Museum’s signature fundraiser, honoring the life’s work of living legends while meaningfully contributing to the institution’s extensive education programs.
This year, EMP will celebrate iconic musician Joe Walsh. Together with honorary chairs Paul G. Allen and Jody Allen, we are thrilled to honor Mr. Walsh’s exceptional influence on music history as a legendary songwriter, extraordinary performer, and ground-breaking guitarist.
This unique and unforgettable evening includes a cocktail and hors d'oeuvres reception, elegant dinner, short-format live auction, and a thrilling tribute concert featuring an ensemble cast of guest musicians.
At Founders Award, EMP proudly honors the artists whose contributions to music have touched the lives of many the world over. Founders Award has played host to a remarkable group of musical superstars including: Jackson Browne; Billy Cox; Steve Cropper; Crosby, Stills & Nash; Buddy Guy; Jimmy Page; Robbie Robertson; Carlos Santana; and Ann & Nancy Wilson.
Since its beginnings in 2007, the Founders Award has raised more than $3,765,000 in support of vital youth development programming.
Benefitting EMP’s Youth Programs
Education is at the heart of EMP’s mission to celebrate and encourage imaginative thinking in people of all ages. EMP’s youth programs foster this through a wide range of education workshops
- Creativity Camps and Teen Artist Workshops serve youth of all skill levels with courses that range from songwriting and instrumentation to music journalism and video game programming.
- Curriculum Connections places EMP teaching artists in school classrooms to provide hands-on, creative lessons in visual arts, music and theatre.
- Hip-Hop Artist Residency offers a stipend for underserved teen musicians to develop their creative career skills in collaboration with established artists who serve as guest instructors and mentors.
- Music Therapy Camps in partnership with Seattle Pacific University unlock new avenues of expression for kids on the autism spectrum.
- Sound Off! youth music competition provides music industry mentorship and unparalleled performance opportunities for young artists.
- STAR (Students Training in Artistic Reach) supports music ensembles through coaching in artistic skills and performance opportunities in a professional setting.
- Write Out of This World is an annual sci-fi and fantasy short story contest encouraging young writers to share their wildest ideas in the genre with a panel of experts and public audience.
- Youth Advisory Board helps teens build leadership skills and gain valuable volunteer experience directly influencing programming at EMP.
2016 Event Committee
Co-Chairs: Mark Dederer and Michael J. Malone
Dr. James A. Bianco, Wes Blair, Dana Frank, Ian Kerrigan, Liz and Mike McConnell, Ed Pierson, Amy Sprangers, Irene Yamamoto
Interested in learning more about EMP's Founders Award Celebration? Contact Angela Westmoreland, Fundraising Events Manager, at AngelaW@EMPmuseum.org or 206-262-3262.